About Me

My photo
:) Thanks for visiting my page! My name is Caroline and I go to Baruch College!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Modeling Reality with Virtual Worlds

    Is it better to live in virtual world than real world? To be honest, I think I want to live in virtual world where everything is under my control and in my favor. According nytimes.com, there are sites like there.com, secondlife.com, in which we can create avatars and live in Prada and Rolex world. As a child, I have always had an active imagination and lived in my fantasy world. Just like childhood daydream, virtual worlds on New Media can be escapes from realities. Especially in recession or recovery period, we can live in virtual world as our alter ego who can splurge on $1000 shoes. I believe virtual worlds are necessary to release stress and escape from burdens of everyday life.
     But, the bad comes with the good. Virtual world can also make us feel inadequate and insecure.  Another New York Times article “I’ve Been in That Club, Just Not in Real Life”  tells us that some people draw back from social life in real time because virtual world has become substitute. The author says he feels more comfortable going to the club on the screen at his home than actually being in the club. Are people going to withdraw from social life because of virtual worlds? No, some people actually enjoy having fun in the real life but people like me enjoy the control and comfort of virtual world. 
      Virtual world also fosters creativity because in gaming virtual worlds, we can create our avatar and change outfits or create the storyline. The future is bright for imaginary world online. The example of Heron Sanctuary proves that virtual world is bringing the community closer. People will use virtual world more as they can be creative and strengthen their imagination or even get a second chance in life and live our dream online.
        In brief, I am really fascinated by the idea of virtual world and I support the concept of getting to know our community by intersecting each other’s path in our second life. I love interactive gaming episodes so I believe virtual worlds will continue to grow and help us overcome real life situations and  learn more about different situations through living another life. If you know any good virtual world that is fun and exciting, please comment below.
     

More details :
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/fashion/22Avatar.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/arts/television/06itzk.html

No comments:

Post a Comment